Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Wednesday Update and Weekend Pictures

Last night was a little bit crazy.  I had planned to leave the hospital about 9 p.m. (my mom was taking the night shift here).  Before I left, the nurse came in to measure Lolly's belly, and it had expanded 2 inches since the morning.  Since she developed the Pneumatosis coli- the air pockets in her gut, they've been measuring her regularly to make sure the air pockets aren't getting bigger.  It was a bit alarming that her girth had increased so much, so we woke Lolly up and took her down for a KUB x-ray.  She was so good during her x-rays- it was almost sad.  Instead of fighting, she just layed there, completely calm, on the x-ray table. 

They weren't able to tell from the first x-ray if she had perforated her bowel or not, so we had to go down for another x-ray. 

From the second x-ray, they were able to see that the air pockets had just gotten bigger (bad), and her bowel had not been perforated (which was good).  Lolly fell back asleep while I waited to talk to the doctor.  They ordered that her Anderson tube be put back in.  An Anderson tube goes down her nose, to her stomach.  Rather than use it to feed her, they use it to keep her stomach sucked out (to give her bowels and pancreas some rest).  So, poor, sleeping Lolly was woken up again- this time by the nurses putting the tube in.  It was really sad- especially because we'd been given the okay to pull it out on Monday.  I felt so sorry for my girl. 

I waited around after the tube placement to get news from the doctor again.  Last Thursday, when the Pneumatosis coli was initially discovered, it was a very serious situation- and the surgeons came to check on her that night.  I didn't want to leave if she was close to perforating her bowel again.  The doctor said that her Pneumatosis coli was almost gone on Monday (thanks to the bowel rest and IV antibiotics), but had come back, just as bad as before.  I'm concerned that the antibiotics didn't work.  What now?
The good news for today is that Lolly doesn't need dialysis or a transfusion, and that her lab results show a little improvement in her pancreatitis.  She is down for her afternoon nap right now.  She woke up for a minute, in a lot of pain, but after a dose of IV pain meds, she's back asleep.

I'm missing my boys today.  I had such a good time with them this weekend, and can't wait to see them in a few more days.  Here are some pics from Trey's birthday celebration:

Ben stayed at the hospital with Lolly on Saturday, and my mom and I took the kids mini-golfing.

Luke, Tyler, Trey, Sammi and my mom, Siri (a.k.a. Grammy)

Luke

Trey, Luke and Tyler

Grammy and Luke

Luke

Tyler

After mini-golfing, we went to Target to do some birthday shopping for Trey.
Tyler, me and Luke:

On Saturday evening, we went up to the hospital.
Trey in the hospital playroom:

They were making doctor's kits for a craft in the playroom. 
Luke made an adorable surgeon:
Lolly (with half a smile!!!):

Grammy, Sammi, Trye and Lolly in our room:
The boys had fun sleeping at my grandparents' condo.  At home, we always decorate with crepe paper and balloons for birthdays, and did our best with what we had:

Sleeping kids (I miss putting them to bed):

Luke wanted to sleep by me:

Sunday morning (Trey's birthday) before heading to the hospital-
Tyler and Sammi:
We had a lovely surprise before heading to church- my good friend, Kim, and her son, Easton stopped by after he had some blood drawn at the hospital (he has HLHS, like Trey).  We talked them into staying for church (the LDS branch here has 30-minute church- who can pass that up?), and got to hang out with them for a few minutes afterwards while Trey opened his birthday presents.  It was so fun to see them!

Luke, Trey, Easton and Tyler:

Lolly let me touch her hair for the first time in a week (she didn't actually "let" me, but didn't protest too loudly.

Trey got a new peewee football for his birthday, so we took it out on the patio to play a little family football game.
Tyler and Trey:

Trey, Ben, Tyler and me

All of us but Sammi (she was down for a nap):

Sisters

That afternoon, Ben's sister, Heather and my cousin Laurie and some of her kids (Meagan with her brand-new fiance, Dayne, Amy and Emily) came to the hospital cafeteria for a little party for Trey.
Heather:

Luke loved putting the candles on the cake:

Sammi:

My cousin, Laurie, with Sammi

Dayne and Meagan (engaged the night before!) and Sammi


Me, Luke, Ben and Trey, blowing out his candles:

My cousin, Amy and Sammi

Lolly

Trey does this new "cool kid" wink and point (he's hilarious!):

All seven of us!!!

Saying goodbye to Lolly before he and the boys headed home:
Luke was thrilled to find a police car to drive around (wagons and cars are sometimes hard to find around here):
I saved the best for last- A SMILE!!!



7 comments:

  1. Love those pictures! Kind of fitting that Trey's birthday party was where he has received numerous miracles. And even better that he is well to enjoy it! We only wish that Lolly wasn't suffering. We'll pray for the pneumatosis coli to be resolved for good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that dreaded Anderson Tube. YUCK! I am so glad that your nurse caught it quickly before a perforation became reality. I hope that this bump in the road can resolve quickly for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the smile on Lolly! Also it looks like Trey had a great b-day!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. Double Ugh.
    But, still going. Fantastic pics, Rob. What a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, the last one is the BEST! that has got to make you want to keep going and feel better if only for a minute! she is such a good, sweet girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it ironic that that smile made me cry?? Love you guys

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweetheart. LOVED that last picture. Still praying for and hoping that the worst is behind her. You are such a sweet family and she is just an amazing little girl. Sending my best!

    ReplyDelete