Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Pinkalicious- September 28, 2010


Dear Uncle Boo and Aunt Lindsay,
Thank you for the new set of markers you mailed me.  I love them...especially the pink one.
Love, Lolly
My dear old dad surprised us yesterday, and drove to see us at the hospital.  My mom took the Sunday night shift here at the hospital, and didn't get a lot of sleep, so my dad offered to stay the night with Lolly on Monday night.  He had to leave at 6:30 a.m. this morning to get back for work, so I came in earlier than normal (I usually come around 10 a.m. after I feed Sammi) this morning to be with Lolly. 

Lolly was awake when I got here, so I climbed in bed with her, hoping she'd fall back asleep.  She was bored, and didn't want to sleep, so we played with her new punching balloon and her new markers.  She was happy and occupied, so I decided to drift off for a quick nap.  When I woke up a short time later, she'd colored all over herself, her new baby doll, and her favorite blanket.

It. Was. Awesome.

We (nurses, techs, passers by) thought it was great, and couldn't quit laughing.  She's so cute- and acting just like a normal two-year-old!
On the agenda for today:
Dialysis
Blood Transfusion
KUB X-ray

DIALYSIS: (she is SO SICK of people messing with her, and has made it VERY difficult for the dialysis nurse.  We finally had to give her some Valium to help her chill out.  It's awesome because the dialysis nurse (who has never had kids...let alone a two-year-old) keeps asking me, "Can you just MAKE her lay on her left side?"  If Lolly knows we want her on her left side, she will do anything but that.  The nurse also told me that WE need to be the ones running the show, NOT Lolly.  She's never been to our house, so I don't really blame her for not knowing that Lolly RUN THE SHOW.  (**Crossing my fingers that she doesn't need many more dialysis treatments.**).

BLOOD TRANSFUSION: Due, in part, to her totally not-awesome pancreatitis, her red blood count remains low, and her BUN (a number they look at from her labs) is still low.  They are giving her blood during her dialysis, which makes her cooperation during dialysis all the more important.

KUB X-ray: Things are looking better with her Pneumatosis coli, but we still continue to have daily x-rays to monitor the air pockets. 

Lolly is still getting TPN nutrition through her IV.  This morning, as I was cleaning the marker off her face with a washcloth, she kept sucking the washcloth- the first sign she's wanted a drink in a long time.  She's asked me again and again to wet the washcloth for her so she could suck it out (she isn't allowed to drink anything, but can wet her mouth).

She has said several words today, "mine," "more," and "please."  This is a big step- she hasn't spoken much at all since she's been here.  Her voice is still very quiet and raspy- I'm hoping there was no damage to her vocal cords from when she was intubated. 

It's a very good day.  She's getting spunkier by the day.  Last night, in the playroom, she even stood up for two seconds on her own.  We're seeing progress- slowly but surely.

We are thankful for the prayers for our girl and for a pink marker that brought many laughs to our room today.

17 comments:

  1. Seriously. I LOVE IT!!! Way to go Lolly. I love that you are getting spunkier (is that a word) by the hour!!! I pray that you continue to get better everyday. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pink marker pictures are AWESOME :) !! I love it! So glad to hear her spunk is coming back. We continue to keep all of you in our daily prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure that normal things like marking everything with the marker is heaven sent. And to be able to laugh is even better. Keep your chin up, Robbie & Ben. We love you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT! Given her "diet" it's a good thing she didn't do what MaKendrie does and eat the whole end of the marker! Love to see her acting two again!
    "The nurse also told me that WE need to be the ones running the show, NOT Lolly" Bwa ha ha! Seriously. Welcome to two year olds. I think I would have been apt to tell her that given the fear of whether she would even live not so many days ago she could run whatever show show wanted for awhile!
    Her eyes look so much brighter than even yesterday's pic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ben and Robbie and family, I heard about your blog and just read it. You guys are an inspiration to me! You've been through so much. Your children are all so darling! I love the pictures of Lolly with the marker on! Our prayers are with you and hope Lolly will continue to improve and that your other children will be well and healthy. Thank you for posting. Love, Susy Harper

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHAHA! I am dying right now. So awesome! Oops! Not my intention, but glad it brought smiles :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are SO excited that Lolly is starting to feel better! Her 'makeup' was beautiful!! She is one spunky, funny little two year old. I'm so happy that she had a good time coloring herself - she deserves to have a little mischievous fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are the best pictures! I love love love this girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWESOME!!! i could only see the top half of the picture when the blog popped up, but knew right away that your Lolly is "back"! SO good to see her doing things in "Lolly style" again. Whew! (Love the doll's head...brooklyn is going to die when she sees it....her dolls may just look the same in 2 days!) so happy things have been good 3 days in a row. can't wait to come up again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm thinking of you guys! I would love to come visit, but I usually have a child in tow. Little Lolly's pink marker is just beautiful. I can't imagine trying to get Adam to comply to anything that you're having to do. You have my sympathy! A little spunk never hurt a girl!
    XOXOX Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pink is such a good color on Lolly:) That is too cute! Glad to see her getting back to the normal 2 year old ways! She is looking better all the time! Love, Megan

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those pictures!! Owen said "uh-oh baby.. momma look!" (as he pointed at lolly and her baby). I told him it's okay to do that in the hospital. :)

    Gotta love "those" nurses. No. I cannot MAKE my child do anything actually and he does in fact, RUN THE SHOW.. ALL THE TIME!! Lolly and Owen sound too much alike. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome photos! I agree with everyone else...what a great sight to see...a little mischief maker. Hopefully you can get the marker out of her blanky...if not, it will always serve as a great memory of a good day. As far as the dialysis nurse goes...you had a better sounding attitude about her comments then I would have! Sheesh! At some point, I think that it would be a valuable experience for every nurse to be on the parent side of the hospital just to understand the complete perspective change that occurs! I am glad that Lolly is running the show and keeping everyone on their toes, but I do hope that she can require less and less dialysis and get home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the marker, what a laugh for everyone! She looks so cute with her dolly. Her true COLOR is shineing thru!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are some great pictures. I'm so glad there have been some happy moments in all this craziness. Emmy still blesses "Baby Lolly to be strong and healthy" in every single prayer. She looks beautiful covered in pink:-)

    ReplyDelete