Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sunday morning update

Lolly had a rough night.  When Ben and I were with her around 8 p.m., she was extremely agitated and restless.  She had tried all afternoon to get a little rest, but was unable to sleep.  After tossing and turning (which is no easy feat with all that she's hooked up to), she finally decided she was done- done with being thirsty and done with all her attachments.  She threw a little fit, and tried to pull everything out.  She did succeed in pulling her NG tube out partway, but the nurse was able to get it back in without placing another.  Ben stayed with her after I had to leave, and they finally gave our sweet baby girl some morphine to help her settle down.  We were not excited about our night nurse- she didn't seem to try to make any emotional connection with Lolly or with us, and she was out of the room, shooting the breeze, for a good portion of the time we were there.  Ben thinks I rock the boat enough as is, so he didn't want me to ask for a change in nurses that night.  I'm quite certain that there must be a sticky note on the top of Lolly's chart, noting that she has one of "THOSE MOMS."  I have learned a lot the past several years, and am not afraid to push and push for what I think my child needs.  I hear "no" a lot, but I'll keep harassing those doctors.  :)

Little Lolly needed another dose of morphine last night, but it sounds like she did get some sleep.

Ben got to Lolly's room as early as he could; mom, Sammi and I are heading up to see Lolly and go to church (30 minutes long!) at the hospital in a few minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I had a Drm tell me once he relies heavily on a mother's instinct they often know!!! Keep being one of "THOSE" moms!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't a good nurse make all the difference? It's AWFUL when you have a nurse you don't like!! Hopefully you'll have a better one tonight. If not, I wouldn't hesitate to ask for a change. Let them say what they want - it's Lolly's happiness that's important. I'm one of 'those moms' too :)

    ReplyDelete