Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Two Small Miracles- Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Early this morning, about 3:30 a.m., I was this close (picture my thumb and pointer finger about 1 millimeter apart) to losing my mind.  Watching Lolly suffer so much was more that my heart could handle.  But then two small miracles happened-
#1- She peed!!! (61 ccs to be exact; that's her second time since she's been here)
#2- She fell asleep.  She was given a miracle cocktail of morphine, Ativan and Benadryl, and she was finally able to rest.  I was amazed that she was able to sleep because she couldn't suck her thumb (she had "no-no's" on her arms to prevent her from pulling her NG tube again) and because she didn't have "geeky" (her special blanket- it was in the hospital laundry).  But she fell asleep- and she slept and slept and slept.  She slept through her morning weigh-in, her dialysis treatment, her vital sign checks and her NG tube feeds.  She slept and slept and slept- until about 2 p.m. this afternoon! 

My mom and I traded off about 9 a.m. this morning.  I went back to the apartment to take care of Sammi and got a little bit of sleep too. 

She is a different girl today- we even got special permission to take her outside for a walk.  She was really tired, and didn't show much emotion, but I know that deep down inside, she loved it. 

The attending doctor came by this morning and apologized for letting Lolly go so long in her state of misery for so long (two days of moaning, almost no sleep, and complete misery for her).

It's almost 6:30 p.m., and Lolly just went back to sleep.  She is a completely different girl now that she has had some sleep- she's been talking and awake.  My good friend, April, sent a ton of dress up stuff to Lolly, and she was all blinged up when I walked in today- she had a tiara, necklaces, bracelets, huge shiny rings, and a fancy new purse.  She was, for sure, the fanciest girl in the hospital today. 

Tonight, Lolly will get Benadryl to help her sleep, and melatonin to help her regulate her sleep/wake cycle.  I'm so grateful that things are turning around. 

We're so proud of our tough little girl.  She's such a fughter.  And I'm so grateful, beyond words, that she is doing better today.  Thank you all for the kind, encouraging comments (often the highlight of our our day), and the kind cards and gifts for little Lolly.  All of your support is helping us get through this crazy time.

Love, Robbie

13 comments:

  1. Yea!!!! The only thing that would've made this post better is a picture of her all dressed up. But, I can imagine she looked pretty cute. Here's to hoping that you have a whole string of good days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea!!!!! The only thing that would've made this post better is a picture of Lolly all dressed up. But, I'll use my imagination. I'm sure she was darling. Here's to hoping for a whole string of good days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for a full diaper and for deep sleep! I seriously don't know how you've survived this long. There is NOTHING more painful in this world that watching your children suffer. I'm a basketcase every time Sadie gets sick. Well, at least until I'm sure it's not going to be too serious.

    I bet Lolly's peaceful sleep will help her heal more quickly, too! I'm really surprised they didn't give her Benadryl sooner.

    I bet you could easily get a book deal after all the health drama you've been through in your lifetime!! You are the strongest, most saintly parent I know!!

    Hope Lolly has more miracles in her diaper tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers are answered. Hang in there, Robbie. I know it is hard, but Heavenly Father loves you and Lolly. He knowes what you are going through so turn to him in time of need. I know what you are going through because I have been there with my daughter, Tanya. Different cirumstances, but both fighting for thier life. Tanya was in ICU for 2 1/2 weeks and another 2 weeks out on the floor. God does hear and answer our prayers. Love, Adrianna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yippeee!!!
    Here's to another good day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear she had a good day! We love you all!!!! (Big) Thayne (Brother Schafer) says he can't wait to have her back in the nursery loading the stroller up with all the stuffed animals and dolls. He sends his love to Lolly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can do this Robbie. All things will pass, I am sure of it, If your not ask the Lord. You have always been a rock. So happy and bright, always positive. You are amazing and can handle anything-I know you are suffering as much as she is. It is excruciating to watch a loved one suffer. If Lolly is anything like you she will get through this-best part she won't remember. Remember we love you. Jen Mabey

    ReplyDelete
  8. She reminds me so much of my little Aliya! Glad to hear she's getting better! Sorry you have to suffer with her for so long!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tender mercies from the Lord - they always make me so grateful! I hope things continue to look for you and Lolly and that the doctors continue to know what best will help. You are one amazing mother, Robbie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad to hear the good news. We're praying for all of you. Hope your night is restful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying for you and your family.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm happy to hear Lolly finally got some sleep. It's amazing how much better you feel when you are able to get some real rest.
    I hope you are having another good day!
    Hugs to you and Lolly :)

    ReplyDelete