Friday, September 17, 2010

PICU

BAD NEWS!  Lolly is in the PICU (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit).  Last night, she had a blood transfusion.  She needed the blood, but it added a lot of extra fluid that she didn't need (she's in kidney failure- extra fluid is a very bad thing), and it started to get into her lungs a bit.  When I left after 1:30 a.m. to take Sammi back to the apartment, Lolly's breathing was sounding quite labored.  She had been wheezing a lot, and was requiring frequent albuterol treatments to keep her sats up. 

I got back to the apartment and after feeding Sammi again, I got to bed about 2:30 a.m.  I got a call at 3:30 a.m. that there was a problem.  The doctor I spoke with was considering sending her to the ICU, but wanted to consult with a few people first.  She told me to try to sleep for a few minutes (ha!) and she'd call me back.  She called back a few minutes later, saying they were going to take her to the ICU.  The fluid in her lungs was concerning (seen on the x-ray) as well as her O2 sats.  She's also been having pretty constant fevers, so they started to worry about possible pneumonia.

I got here in record time (8 minutes flat!!!), and by the time I came in, Lolly was in the PICU with my mom (who is not a big fan of drama when she's on the night shift).  It was a little overwhelming when I walked in to a room full of people, all of them trying to help my little girl.  I took over for mom, and tried to hold Lolly's skinny little (but extremely strong!) arms down while they held a C-pap machine over her nose (since her oxygen cannula wasn't doing the trick before, they used the C-pap which gives oxygen AND pressure to help her breathe).  She was not a fan (to explain it in the mildest way possible).  Totally and completely freaking out would explain it a bit better.  Her sats were still in the 70's, so they tried the bi-pap (sp?), which gives air and pressure on both the inhale and exhale.  That didn't work, so they're bagging her, and her sats are in the high 90's (good!).  We are trying to avoid at all costs having to give her a breathing tube (intubation).  That would be a HUGE step backwards.

I was down with Lolly for about an hour and a half, which was exhausting (they tried to give her some mild sedatives, but they didn't seem to help one bit).  At least she has a LOT of fight in her.

I had to trade off with my mom (who had been taking care of Sammi in our old room) to nurse Sammi.  Mom is down there right now with Lolly, and I'm about to head back in.  As I was leaving, they were just starting dialysis.  We're hoping they'll be able to pull off a lot of the extra fluids and get her feeling better again (she had gotten very puffy). 

It's been a crazy roller coaster ride already, and it's only 7 a.m.  Ben is already on his way down from Idaho. 

Things are not that awesome today (but last night was great!).
Hoping things start to look up again!

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so sorry. I was so happy for you last night. We'll be thinking and praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't even believe what I am reading. It all sounds so unreal that this is even happening. I am so glad you are with Lolly, Robbie. She needs her mommy. Lots of prayers and fasting today for all of you! Lolly's a strong little girl and we all love her! And you too! Please call if you need anything....anything!!! I just hope this roller coaster ride will end soon and you all can come back home safely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, not the news i was waiting on the edge of my seat for! i feel im on the roller coater too with all the baclk and forth...im so sorry this keeps going in crazy loops, BUT so happy she is still fighting in Lolly style! please hang in there...we are all rooting for your darling little family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh roller coaster roller coaster go away. Seriously how can you go from one extreme to another. I have to say heavenly father has away of keeping us humble. I pray that after dialysis things will look so much better. We love you guys. Loves coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart aches for your mom and for you to have to deal with night shift drama! I HATE 3 am hospital phone calls and walking into the PICU to see more people around the bed then you can imagine. It sounds like a very scary night, probably only made more difficult because you had seen Lolly acting like herself just hours before! As much as it stinks, I love being in the ICU because you know that NOTHING will go unnoticed with constant one on one care. I sure hope that you feel like you can sneak away and sleep today and that having Ben back will bring some comfort to all of you! We will continue our constant prayers for your family! Thank you for the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our family is fasting the weekend and praying now. Her name is even in the temple in North Carolina!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Robbie, You and Ben have been on my mind constantly. I can't imagine all that you've been faced with. I wish I could be closer just to give you a big hug. Trust in the Lord with all your heart! I sure love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are on a rollercoaster ride to say the least. We continue to pray for Lolly.. but I always tend to call her Lols. My husband was so sad when I told him whats been going on with your family.

    Keep your chin up and know that many are praying!!!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete