Sunday, October 31, 2010

Lolly

Lolly on Friday, October 29, 2010

We've been home for THREE WEEKS now...and I can finally say that Lolly is pretty much back to how she was before she got sick.  She has done amazingly well since we got home.  She is talking a ton (we could hardly get her to say a word when she was in the hospital).  Her strength has improved so much- after four weeks in bed, she had a very difficult time walking at first.  When we first got home, she wobbled a lot when she walked, and fell down several times because she just didn't have much strength in her legs.  She could not stand up from a squat or climb the stairs.  Now, she runs all over the place, climbs the bunkbed and treehouse ladders, and is a ball of energy.   

It seems like the ages that are the most difficult also bring the most cuteness- that's exactly how I would describe Lolly- she can be 100% difficult and 100% adorable.  We're trying to wean her from our previous [hospital life] parenting skills- the "You-can-have-anything-you-want-as-long-as-you-keep-living" parenting philosophy had to end at some point, but Lolly wasn't particularly thrilled with it ending when she came home.  In the hospital, when she was finally allowed to eat and drink, she was given endless options.  "You don't feel like drinking water?"  "That's okay- how about some juice/pop/gatorade, etc..."  Now that we're back at home, she's not very impressed that I'm not playing the part of short-order cook, but slowly and surely, she is getting better and less spoiled. 

She is the most funny/spunky/crazy little girl, and she loves to make us laugh.  She loves dancing (Party in the USA is still her favorite) and being silly.  She loves playing with "the brothers" and helping baby Sammi.  She loves having her nails painted, but would much rather do it herself (like she got to do in the hospital).  Her favorite thing to do in the hospital was color, and when she was there, everyone applauded her artwork, no matter the canvas (remember this?).  She's still very creative with her canvas choice, but can't figure out why I'm not as excited as I used to be about her artwork on walls/books/toys, etc. 

She has turned into a very sweet, very happy girl, and I think, in a lot of ways, her hospital experience has made her more patient and more submissive and even more cheerful.  She wakes up so happy!  On the very rare occasion that she wakes up before me, she'll walk down the hall, knock on my door, and call out, "Mom!"  I love it. 
Because of her pancreatitis, Lolly was sent home on a low-fat diet.  Good thing that her favorite food is CHEESE!!!  When we first got home, she asked for cheese for breakfast, lunch and dinner (probably to make up for her month-long cheese deprivation).  Being dairy farmers, we're happy that she loves cheese, but cheese for every meal doesn't fit well with a low-fat diet. 

Lolly has weekly blood draws at the local hospital to check her kidney function, pancratitis, and red blood cell count, and everything is improving.  We love the "blood draw ladies" at the hospital here.  We've been going to visit them on a regular basis for years and years.  Trey used to have weekly blood draws for months and months, and we see our "blood draw ladies" every time we go to the ER or when I go to the hospital to deliver a baby (both scenarios are quite frequent, seems like).  So these ladies know our family well, and remember all the kids and their names.  We never leave without a fistful of suckers, stickers, and juice for everyone.  The kids think it's the greatest place on earth (especially those who get to go without getting poked).  Even Lolly doesn't mind too much.
Sammi (seven months now!)

Lolly loves to be with Luke, and he can make her laugh more than anyone else.  Whenever I hear her giggling during the day, I pause and express a silent "thank you" to my Heavenly Father for letting me hear that sweet sound again.  I know that it truly is a miracle that Lolly is alive today.  Not only that- but it's a miracle that she is alive and is eating/drinking/peeing/walking/thinking, etc. on her own.  I know that our Heavenly Father has a plan for each one of us, and I am so grateful that he allowed Lolly to live.  I know that it could have just as easily gone the other way, and several medical professionals told me that medically speaking, Lolly shouldn't be alive today.  Words can't express how grateful we are that she is alive.  We are so thankful to have our girl.

I am so happy to be back to being a mom again to ALL my kids.  It has been so crazy though!  I think I'd forgotten how wild and loud life with five kids really is.  Every day when I look around at the dishes/laundry/messes I remind myself how grateful I am to have five little people to cook for and do dishes, wash and fold piles of laundry, and clean up after. 

For anyone reading this blog, please know how grateful we have been for your support and encouragement.  I can't tell you how much it meant to me to have so many people, far and near, tell me that they were following Lolly's blog and praying for her and our family.  We truly could not have made it through without the love and support from so many family members, friends, and even strangers who offered help and support in so many ways.  It was so humbling and uplifting.  There were so many days at the hospital when we had nothing but bad news and sad things to think about.  On those days, I lived for the moments where I took a few minutes to read all the encouraging comments and emails and texts from so many wonderful people.  They literally kept me going and made me think I could keep going for Lolly's sake.  It might take me months or years, but I hope, at some point, to personally thank all of you for what you did for me.  But for now, I hope a big blogged thank-you will do. 

((THANK YOU!!!))

I hope to download this blog into a book for Lolly as a keepsake- all the pictures, post and comments.  Because of that, I still have many pictures I'd like to post...sooner, rather than later, I hope!  Be back soon (but don't hold your breath).

12 comments:

  1. What cute matching outfits! Your girls are so darling and we are thrilled to hear that Lolly has returned back to her normal. I can't imagine the parenting shift that must be occurring in helping her adjust to home life instead of hospital life. Too bad we can't all have room service on demand for life! :) Thanks for the update and good luck managing your wonderful and crazy life all together again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea!!! such great news. you are such a great mamma to some very special kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lolly, congratulations on conquering the current trial of fighting for your life. Your mom is right, the Lord truly has a special mission for you in this life. Whether it is for you alone or for you to be His instrument, you are one very special, strong spirit. Keep going strong and letting the Lord heal your body. You and your sweet family are in our prayers little one. You don't know us but we are so excited for you to continue your journey through this life.
    Love, the Ostler's. Jon Brooke Savannah & Davnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading all the great news and milestones. You should go on the Oprah show about Miracles...I do believe you can go and tell your story on their web page to be on their show. Something to add to the craziness! :) Glad everyone is doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a BLESSING!!! So happy for you and your family that all turned out so well. Your pictures are adorable. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. So grateful she is doing so well. She has touched so many hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does my heart good to two sets of beautiful blue eyes in these pics! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy to hear that life is almost "normal" again, whatever normal is (ha). Yes, it is a miracle the Lolly is even alive now, let alone progressing so well. Please do make these blogs into some kind of journal/book for her. She will always cherish knowing about this and how Heavenly Father blessed her so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your family is amazing. I can sense such a beautiful spirit radiating from your beautiful children. Keep up the great work as parents and please, let me help you with something.
    Klade and Melissa Williams Family

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey its Marielle...one of your nurses from Primary Children's (just in case you forgot me already)...hope you don't mind, Jamee shared your blog with me. I am SO happy to hear that Lolly is feeling better. I think about her all the time. And Robbie...you are SO talented! Oh my goodness, making your own bed? And I'm DETERMINED to make a picnic bench like yours. I bought my first bunch of lumber from Home Depot the other day. I only bought three pieces of wood and the price said 3 dollars. So I thought to myself, "oh, great I'll only be spending about 10 dollars." I had an employee cut it all up into the pieces I needed and then took it all up to the register. Boy was I surprised when I owed nearly a hundred dollars! The cashier said, "I'm sorry ma'am, didn't you know its 3 dollars PER FOOT?" Obviously NOT! I definitely made an amateur's mistake. One day I'll be as good as you! You're an inspiration. I wish you and your family the very best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Robbie and Lolly!

    I'M SO EXCITED! She's looking FABULOUS, seriously, fabulous. It's fun to be able to see what she looks like 'normally' and not sick in the hospital.

    Marielle, Jamee and I miss you (but not really!) Please don't come back! You and your family were favorites of ours, but we sincerely wish it would have been under different circumstances.

    Tell your amazing mother hello (and Sonya! Ha ha!) And especially tell Lolly to keep being that stubborn little girl we saw glimpses of!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh! My! Gosh! Robbie....I am in tears! Your girls are B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L! Just like their mother! I am so glad you are all home safely too! I keep thinking about you and checking your "other blog" to see how home life is treating you....so glad you are home....doing the same thing I am...mounds of laundry, dishes etc. etc. ETC. and grateful to be a MOM! You are amazing! Love, love, love these pics!!! Hol
    P.S. I loved seeing little Lolly in her p.j.'s AT HOME the other night. She, you and your home look amazing!

    ReplyDelete