Monday, October 18, 2010

What's been going on (Hint: all good things!)


Pictures from last night, Sunday, October 17, 2010

Was it really five days ago that I said, "maybe I'll have time to post later tonight?"  It's been nearly impossible to find time to blog, so I'm sorry for those of you who have mentioned you've been waiting for an update. 

I was super busy the whole time Lolly was in the hospital.  It seemed like I only had a few minutes each day to post an update.  But all that time, I had two full-time nannies (my mother-in-law and my mom), a full-time nurse for Lolly, laundry service (my mom), housekeeping (to clean our room and change Lolly's sheets), and a personal chef (the Rainbow Cafe at the hospital), and I still barely had enough time to blog. 
These days, I'm the full-time nanny, nurse, laundry service, housekeeper, and personal chef to seven hungry mouths, not to mention, secretary, bookkeeper (I've got a stack of papers a mile high), and chauffeur.  And I'm loving it!!!  I am so grateful to be back, doing what I love to do, but have found it very difficult to find time to blog.
It's kind of like our family took a month-long vacation- to four different locations (boys at Grandma's, Ben at home, me and Sammi to my grandparents' SLC apartment, and Lolly to Primary Childrens Hospital)- a vacation we hadn't done any preparation for.  Our house and yard looked great when we walked in (thanks to some amazing friends!), but the moment we moved back in, we brought a tornado with us.  It's still going to take a while to get things under control.
We've now been home for one week, and Lolly is doing so well.  It truly is amazing.  She has regained much of her strength, and is walking well now (after 3 1/2 weeks in bed, her legs were very stiff and weak).  She's still a little shaky, and falls down occasionally, but is getting stronger every day.  She still gets stuck when she squats, and needs help up occasionally, and she doesn't even attempt to climb up the stairs (although she does slide down). 
We could hardly get Lolly to say a word at the hospital, and her manners were nonexistent (if she wanted something, she'd usually scream), but I've been amazed at how quickly she started talking again at home, and how many new words she's picked up since she's been home (she started talking a lot right around her 2nd birthday in July).  She even says please and thank-you most of the time now.
All her life, Lolly has taken a long time to warm up to people.  In the past, she'd refuse to let people carry her sometimes, even if she knew them.  During her hospitalization, she developed major trust issues.  She really didn't know who she could trust, often cried when people came into her room, and was smart enough to not make eye contact with any doctors.  Since returning home, though, she has become very cuddly, and wants to be held (we love it!).  She lets almost anyone pick her up, and has become quite pleasant to be around!  On Friday, we were at my in-laws' house with a bunch of relatives.  I have a lot of nieces that love babies, and have always been so nice to Lolly, but she usually won't let them carry her or play with her.  On Friday, the came up and announced that Lolly had actually let them carry her!!!

Lolly's sleep schedule was so messed up in the hospital- I was really worried about how she'd transition at home.  She has done great!  She was thrilled to be back in her own bed, with Luke as a roommate, and takes long naps in the afternoon and sleeps all night. 

I took Lolly to our family doctor last Tuesday, and he said that after reviewing her chart, it's a miracle that she's here.  The last patient he saw with HUS that wouldn't wake up (like she did the first four days)- was about 2-years-old, and did not survive.  I've seen many medical miracles in my life, but I rarely hear medical professionals label them as such.  It truly is a miracle that she's here today.
Our experience with Lolly has, of course, caused me to take time to reflect on and appreciate all my blessings.  All this week since we've been home, there have been so many moments during our days where I'll just stop and think, "I'm so grateful to have this moment with her."  Listening to her giggle, getting her out of bed in the morning, and watching her get excited about little things like going outside to play or making cupcakes have been small things that have brought me great joy.  One of the many blessings I've gained from this trial has been my improved ability to appreciate the small things. 
Like these fabulous legs:
They are the cutest thing ever- skinny two-year-old legs in stretch pants.  Love them.

And the other cutest thing ever:

The kids have all transitioned really well.  I had been especially concerned about Luke while we were in the hospital.  His life (next to Lolly's) was changed the most- he was without his home, his mom, his best friend and roommate...and although he really loved his time at Grandma and Grandpa's, he was a bit stressed out from the whole situation, and more than anyone, told me how much he really wanted us all back together at home.
But as you can see...
and
So we're happy.

The big boys love having Lolly back:

And Sam loves having her daddy back:
And the cows love having us all back.  Here they are, staring at everyone on the trampoline:
It's so good to be back!

13 comments:

  1. Everyone looks so good! I am so glad that Lolly has been adjusting at home and talking, sleeping, and letting everyone love on her! WOW! What an absolute miracle. I am so glad for an update despite the craziness of your everyday life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you are home as a family again. And I'm grateful for the miracle that has unfolded in your lives. It has been inspiring to many of us from afar. Thanks for sharing the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad everyone is home,safe, happy, and healthy! I can't believe how much Lolly looks like Joelle/Heather in some of her pictures! So sweet! Keep us posted! How's her hematocrit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone looks great! I'm so glad you guys are all home together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your experience has also caused me to reflect on my blessings and I am thankful to you because you have been a blessing my life. We think the world of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you're all doing well. I have thought a lot about you!!! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so great to see some everyday pictures of your family. I am very glad things turned out so well. I love the pictures of Sammi and wish you were close enough to me to be my photographer. Love ya lots Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy for you, Lolly looks great thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. she looks great! sounds like all is well on the home front! such a good ending.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love all of it. You are a family of miracles. You guys must be pretty special because you've had some tough stuff thrown your way...

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you all are together and that Lolly is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. And we are all so so so glad you are all back! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everyone looks like things are back to normal. I bet you are so HAPPY to everyone back together again. Yes, miracles to happen every day and aren't we lucky to recognize them as miracles.

    ReplyDelete